Tuesday, May 22, 2007

If only Weekends were Longer

I LOVE long weekends- except I promise you this...they are NEVER long enough. Well in my opinion. I think I am looking for life to be one giant long weekend though, so I guess I'm a bit of a dreamer. We did have a good time however, even though it was only for 3 days. Danny and I took off after work on Friday, on a last minute trip to Kelowna, BC. HOLLA! We had cancelled our trip a few days before, because our bro and sis in-law were supposed to join us, but they had to cancel. So we cancelled too, and then last minute we decided to go! I wasn't up for driving through the night so I booked us a room at the wonderful Westin hotel in Calgary. If you bid on this website called priceline.com, you can get some sweet deals on hotels. Our room was supposed to cost $200/night but we got it for less than $100. I'm all for saving money. :) We woke up the next morning to enjoy a swim in their indoor rooftop pool...Danny read the newspaper in the hot tub, while I did laps. ha. Yeah. I don't usually do laps, but I figured I might as well, seeing as we had the pool to ourselves. Then we grabbed some good 'ol Starbucks, and hit the road.


This is me, as I was really excited looking forward to seeing the sunshine in the Okanagan. I'm eager.

However, once we got passed the Banff area we had to wait for a short while, because last week there was a MUDSLIDE that went over the road, and the crew were still cleaning up the mess. That's right people a mudslide!!!! I've never seen one before. There was mud covering the trees and everything. I get impatient though sitting in traffic and waiting. This picture is evidence to that.





After getting through the crazy mud, we finally reached the beauty of the Okanagan. And Sally, seeing as you guys lived there I think, you can vouch for me when I say pictures don't really do it justice. It is just so pretty there, I absolutely LOVE the drive. It's almost magical.




We arrived in Westbank (a town outside of Kelowna) around dinner time. We were staying at Grandma Taylor's for the rest of the weekend, so it was a nice treat to have a delicious meal waiting for us. And the weather was beautiful!!!!!


The next morning we woke up and ate a big breakfast and chatted with G'ma for a bit, and then went to the lake to read for a couple of hours. There were expected thunder showers to come, but they never showed up! The day just got hotter, and hotter. I was in my glory.








From there we went to a used bookstore, and then to walk around town on the board walk and soak up the sun. EVERYONE and their dog was out. It was crazy busy. People were already boating, and swimming.






After a BEAUTIFUL day out in the sun, we went back to Grandma's where she had a huge roast beef dinner waiting for us. The whole shabang. We were so full. Danny had a nap on the couch while I went and read magazines on the patio, and lay down on the swing chair.

This is the view from her patio. I swear she lives in like a Seniors resort. Danny and I walked to Starbucks down the road to grab some delicious drinks (iced tea and such), and to walk off dinner. The view was lovely.


The next morning we said our goodbyes and hit the road.

Stopped at a fruit stand that didn't have any fruit! But it was really cute there.




I read a good chunk of my book on the drive which was idyllic.

This picture below might look like nothing to you, but if you click on it, you will see that we saw a little bear on the side of the road!!!! I was so excited. I have never seen one so close. I wish the camera would have captured it better. So cute, makes you want to cuddle it. Don't worry I didn't try nothin.






The trip ended off on a great note. We saw the end of the rainbow!!!! Both sides!


4 comments:

Jen said...

Jealous. I am jealous. I admit it. It's a poor quality but I REALLY WANT TO GO TO BC!!! Looks like you and Danny had a fabulous time! I can't wait to go home to BC in a couple of weeks! Thanks for the great pics :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I forgot how gorgeous it is there! We're headed back for a week later this summer. I want to go to the Vineyards and the lake... and... and... so many things. Mainly relax though :). Thanks for the inspirational pics.

Bonnie said...

Gorgeous photos. Simply beautiful! Glad you guys were able to get away for the weekend...looks like it was glorious! A lot better than the weather we had :)

ruth said...

I swear you are the two most photographed couple i know, but I love it!

j e r e m i a h 15:16

"As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness because I belong to you. "