Tuesday, April 3, 2007

We kissed the Rains down in Africa...(its from a song...by Toto...nevermind)






Well hello everyone! We are back!!!!! And although I am not going to post many pictures now, or write all about our trip just yet... I thought I would let you know that we are all ALIVE and well! Our trip was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. It is hard for us all to be back, but good at the same time. It was very life changing, and I think its important to come back so that we can create more of an awareness of what is going on over in Niger. Plus I cant avoid the real world forever, as much as I would like to. :) :) The one thing I will tell you about is the gong-show madness it was to even get us there in the first place. I will write more very soon! But until then, here is a little glimpse of our adventure... On Thursday morning, we were all driving to the airport in separate vehicles in Edmonton, when Danny gets a call from my Mom who is already at the airport letting us know that our flight from Edmonton to Montreal has been delayed until 5:30pm that night!!!!! Therefore screwing up the rest of all our flights, therefore we would be 3 days late getting there. So we rushed to the airport while Danny tried to sort things out, but we couldn't tell the youth what was going on at the time because we didn't want them to panic. Eventually after talking with Air Canada, Danny came and talked to the team and parents, and we all prayed in the airport that things would get worked out. We EVENTUALLY were able to leave on 3 separate flights that would take us all from Edmonton to Calgary. Once we were all in Calgary, we flew to Frankfurt, Germany, and from Frankfurt, Germany, to Paris. Spent one night in Paris, and then flew to Tripoli, Libya, on Afriquiyah Airlines...and let me tell you it was freaky. As we were taking off, there was a guy talking on his cell phone, the security checks to get on the plane were HARDLY thorough, if at all, and at one point the pilot walked past me while we were in the air!!!!! As the flight attendants assured some of the youth that the plane was on auto-pilot. Sheesh. I almost kissed the ground once we finally reached Niger, but it was really dirty so I managed to hold back. We were only one day late, as opposed to 3, so it worked out okay in the end, but we have a few things to sort out with insurance now!!!! Yikes. So that is just a little tid bit of the craziness we experienced! Hope you enjoy the few pics I have, I will definitely have more to come. We took over a thousand I think so it will be hard to narrow it down!!!!!!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

YAY!!! You're back and it sounds like it was nothing short of eventful :) Glad you got there and back safely! I was praying for you guys.
Sorry I didn't reply to your email Hailey...its just been MANIAC craziness at our place lately and I haven't gotten around to it. But I am available Wed or Thurs night to talk. Can't tonight cuz I have worship practice...but call me if one of those nights works...i CANNOT wait to chat with you!
Love to you both...
-Bon-

Anonymous said...

So glad that you're back safely. I don't know what I would have done if the pilot of any airplane would have walked by while the plane was flying! Yikes! The pictures are great. Welcome home... and try not to let it be too shocking for you. ;)

j e r e m i a h 15:16

"As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness because I belong to you. "