Monday, April 23, 2007

Africa Part Three


Well we've been back for just over 3 weeks now, it is hard to believe. It feels like it has been forever, and I would go back right now in a heartbeat if I could. Instead I guess I can reminisce. Today I am going to show you pictures of one of my favorite places we went. THE ORPHANAGE! This is the place that I miss the MOST out of all the places we went, mainly because I LOVE THE KIDS and I want see them again!!!!! We got to spend two days at this place...for only a couple hours each day. When we arrived at the orphanage, the first little kid that greeted us was Adam. He was seriously one of the funniest kids there. I gave him a big hug and took some pictures of him... he instantly fell in love with my camera, and pretty much kidnapped it from me and started taking pictures of everyone. He was so funny. He would always wear his little red underwear. And girl sandals. He had a twin sister named Eve. Adam and Eve. So cute...haha.




We then went outside in the scorching hot heat to play with the rest of the children, ages baby to 10...and there were a few teenage girls. The kids seemed REALLY happy there. They were extremely playful, had tons of energy, and seemed to be well fed. The one baby had malaria, but other than that there was just one other girl who was feeling a little sick. Everyone else was good! It didn't seem to bother the kids one bit that it was 45 degrees Celsius outside. They just wanted to play! We brought all sorts of things for them, like balloons, and beads to make necklaces and bracelets and anything else under the sun, beach balls, bubbles, Frisbee, teddy bears, candy, you name it. We had so much fun, but it was so exhausting to have kids hanging off you non-stop when it was so hot outside!!



Robbie started this marching game with some of the kids which caught on really fast, and all of a sudden there was a big line of kids marching behind him for no apparent reason...just kids being kids...and Robbie...being a kid too. :)


It was so sweet, all the kids would call us "Tante" for Auntie and "Tanto" for Uncle. All we heard, all day long was "Tante! Tante! Tante!!!" and then a bunch of French words we couldn't understand. They didn't seem to be bothered that we didn't speak the same language. They would still talk to us like we knew what they were saying. It was quite cute actually. We all sang the alphabet together in French! haha
This little girl was such a darling. So funny. She had the cutest little giggle. And she looked at me and thought it was just hilarious to "water" the water basin. I laughed. And then I told her to stop because she was wasting water. haha



Now my favorite little sweetie was Jamima, pronounced "Jameema". She was so precious, I would have adopted her in a second if I was an irrational person. She was so beautiful, and so full of life. I miss her so much!!! The orphanage was wonderful...I hope to go back someday....

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

Such gorgeous pictures Hailey! What an incredible experience you had.
Now...didn't Leah email you back about this weekend? We talked and she said she'd email (didn't think we both needed to). We want you to meet us for supper on Friday night at West Ed. WE'll call you when we get to Eddy to figure out where and when. HOpe that works!
CAN'T wait to see you!!
Love ya.

Anonymous said...

I can see why you loved it there so much. Those precious, precious kids. Loved the little one in the red underwear. How cute was that? I hope you three have a sweet time this weekend. Wish I was with you... but not necessarily that we would be in Edmonton... maybe back in Cambridge at Oasis? :)

Bonnie said...

Mmmm...Oasis....I had almost forgotten about that place. Yes Sally...I agree. We should all meet there sometime soon :) Wouldn't that be wonderful!?

Bonnie said...

Hey Hailey...how 'bout we'll just call you when we get to Eddy. I'm not sure what our plans are for Sat. and I know Leah leaves pretty early on Sunday. So we'll call you, 'k!?
Looking forward to FINALLY talking to you...and seeing you will be even better :)

hailey said...

Bonnie that sounds great! I am sorry things got messed up! I will call Leah's cell. And Sally, the OASIS sounds fabulous! I wish we could totally hit that up. I COMPLETELY forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me Sally. I am glad you went to the Capes for a full year so you can remember more. :)

j e r e m i a h 15:16

"As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness because I belong to you. "