Thursday, March 13, 2008

RECAP SHMEECAP

Well we have now been in Vancouver for nearly 3 months and I fully recognize the lack of photo updating. Or updating in general. School absolutely has taken over. So, I decided to do a recap on our lives since that day… Dec.26th, that we started making our way to Vancouver.


We had some GREAT helpers to get us settled. Danny’s Mom and Dad, and his sister Darla joined us in our adventure in moving our lives out here. Danny’s Dad drove out the monster truck with the trailer behind it, that carried ALL of our stuff! We drove the car; and of course we couldn’t leave the dogs behind. They joined us too. Although they weren’t much help; they could hardly carry anything!


We spent our first night in Kelowna at Danny’s Grandma’s, and then we eventually made it to Vancouver where there was LOTS of rain. So much rain actually that we had to postpone our move-in date until the next day to avoid soggy boxes.


We did some painting and unpacking that took forever! Danny’s parents left the day after, but they left behind their wonderful daughter Darla. Soon after came Tom and Heather, our cousins from Cali, and then Jase from Texas!


We enjoyed some gallivanting around the city, and counted down to a new year as a lovely group of 6 crammed in our car.

Tom and Heather could only stay for 2 days, but Jase and Darla stayed for about 10 more days and then Darla headed off to Australia where she is now, and Jase back to America. Jase and Darla were both helpful with getting us moved in! HOLLA! And we celebrated Darla's birthday early too. So we of course HAD to surprise her with cupcakes!!!! We opened Christmas presents from Jase too which was really exciting. He is so thoughtful...getting us a "Don't Mess With Texas" mug and some House Blend coffee as a house warming gift, and a Starbucks Christmas Barista bear that I LOVE, and a couple other goodies!



After everyone was gone, next came Danae- Danny’s other sister, and Mom Taylor again for a weekend. We had fun showing them the city and shopping around! Then came my Mom, but we didn’t get any pictures with her!


Next came Natalie, which was, loads of fun, although like I mentioned in a previous blog, Danny got the most time with her. NOT FAIR! We went to the States to shop and it was gooood.



After Natalie left came my friend Danielle and also our friends from Edmonton Aaron and Rob. Danielle and I had some great coffees and we had lots of laughs with Rob and Aaron too. The boys were so sweet they even took us out for a nice dinner to thank us for hosting them! Ladies, these boys are single, hilarious, and they are very kind. If you’re interested you just let me know!

I have been LOVING my school. Danny managed to steal a shot of me in the car on the first day so that I could show my Mom. Haha He wanted me to sit on the couch but I wouldn’t have it. The views from my classroom are unreal. I can see the mountains and downtown. It’s a hard life I tell ya.

And of course Danny is almost done his shifts at the Urban Barn, completely enjoying his new job, but is a bit overwhelmed, and I am still truckin along at the Travel Bug, learning the world.

Because we haven't had much time or opportunities to meet new people, we have been spending loads of quality time together. We went to the new and HUGE movie theatre downtown to see "In Bruges", a Colin Farrel film that is both violent and humorous. Actually kind of liked it. I took this pic of Danny but its kind of blurry because I was laughing too hard.

We are still not 100% settled, but our living room is pretty much finished, here is a mini night time glimpse for you. We just bought another piece of art this weekend from my uncle that I am SO excited about. And I am talkin pricey. That is one thing Danny and I actually ENJOY spending money on. Art. The most we have spent on a painting was $800. Hey, if it changes the way you live and lifts your spirits, I think its worth it! Our newest piece of furniture is a coffee table from Pottery Barn. I was quite delighted to get it on sale.




These peppers are glowing bright red from my favorite market I buy all our fresh produce from. The prices are AMAZING. I sometimes buy TOO much because I get such a deal. It's AWESOME.
We were shopping/window shopping on Commercial Drive one day and snapping photos. We can across this cool antique shop. The little sign was on a storage unit. Who spits on furniture?



These next 2 photos pretty much summarize the last 3 months for us. We literally go to coffee shops more than ever now. And read and study. School was giving me tests and big projects nearly every week and therefore we were "forced" to go to our favorite Starbucks overlooking Coal Harbour.

And last, but NOT least. Chocolatl. I am poting this so that I don't forget this moment. So it's really for me. But this day we spent $16 on chocolate. At one store. We bought 2 hot chocolates and 2 truffles. $16. Ouch. BUT this isn't just any chocolate shop. It is simply delicious. They serve hot chocolate that is hard to explain, but its cocoa from different parts of the world. We both got the Venezuelan. Absolutely creamy and divine.

So tonight we are off to Seattle for a day, and then to Edmonton. I cannot say how excited I am to see my family. I miss them dearly! I won't have much time to post when I'm there but I promise to update when I can. Hope everyone had a fantastic Easter. (We went to the island to visit my Mom's side of the family, and I will post more on that later. It was a blast.)


He has RISEN INDEED!

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

I LOVED this post Hailey! It was so good to get such a close-up look at your lives in Vancity. And your place looks SO cute & cozy! Can't wait to see it in the flesh :) You have NO idea how often I tell Jon that I wished we lived closer so we could hangout with you guys more often. But I guess I can't complain... at least you're not in Edmonton anymore and I don't have to wait years before I get to see you again :)

Hope you have fun visiting your family and be sure to give us a call when you get back. We'd love to get together again soon!

Nini said...

Can I come over and hang out in your living room with you guys? Your house looks just fabby!

Anonymous said...

That was definitely the most attractive picture of red peppers that I have ever seen. Also, your life looks like it belongs in a travel magazine. You know how to make people jealous of where you are. And I have been to vancouver... and wasn't that impressed. It might have been the immigration stress that was wearing me down. But whatever, you have excellent powers of pursuasion.

Nini said...

Hailey...I have refrained for a very long time. It is time for a new post, or four. There is too much going on in your life NOT to blog about it!

By the way. Come visit.

hailey said...

haha I know! I am sorry! I will post very soon. School sucks my writing juices dry!!!!! p.s. You are ALL invited to come and visit WHENEVER.

j e r e m i a h 15:16

"As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness because I belong to you. "