Friday, March 7, 2008

Another FREAK OUT!

I am getting sick of technology. Absolutely sick of it. Some of it. I know that in my life I benefit from it often. But I am just getting sick of how it replaces human interaction, and it sucks up all my time. I don't like how it replaces getting a phone call or getting a letter or a real birthday card in the mail. Facebook is the worst for this. Suddenly all my conversations are online. It's all online. I am guilty of this myself, and a lot of it really does have to do with the fact that I don't have as much time to call anymore because I am a student and majority of my time is spent in a class room with computers. So in some respects, it is my only option. But my teacher was telling us a story the other day about his grade 12 daughter. She sent... GET THIS.... she sent over 6000 text messages on her cell phone last month. YES. There are 3 zeros there. SIX THOUSAND. Luckily his son works for the cell phone company so they get it for free. But I am worried. The next generation is going to have such a struggle with honest face to face to communication because of what technology is doing. I also hate facebook snoopers. Yes, I will randomly come across info on other people's page's while I am writing them a message or whatever, but it just bothers me that so many people just hop from page to page snooping in on other people's business when they don't even talk to that person ever. My friend said she went to a party and ran into someone she had as a facebook friend, but hadn't seen for years and this person knew everything that was going on in her life! It just bothers me. I don't like nosy people. I am considering getting rid of my account because it bothers me that much. But the main thing that bothers me is that it is so easy to lose HOURS and HOURS of your life/ my life just sitting at the computer all day. We don't have cable on our tv, so we have that advantage, but the Internet still manages to grab our attention. I don't know. When I heard about my teachers daughter my jaw actually dropped. What is our world becoming? It scares me sometimes.


5 comments:

ruth said...

what you mean you don't write 6000 text messages a month...come on get on it!!! :-) just kidding, thats crazy and I don't even know how its humanly possible?!?

danny said...

i feel guilty for writing this message because i'm on a computer.

hailey said...

haha to both of you!

danny especially.
you're a dork.
still love you though.

and ruth...ya maybe this chick is an alien?! I'll find out. I didn't think it was humanly possible either.

Anonymous said...

... but I still love technology... always and forever...

But think of it from another perspective... would we ever in a million years be keeping up with each other if we weren't utilizing all of this tech?

Also, 6,000 texts is NUTS! Someone needs to put the serious kaibosh on that.

Bonnie said...

i just lost my comment and can't remember everything i said so... just know that i feel exactly the same way as you and will call you tonight. phone calls are WAY better anyway :) love you!

j e r e m i a h 15:16

"As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness because I belong to you. "