Saturday, March 1, 2008

OPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question: How long will it take me to get you all caught up on two months of travel that we did in 2007?

Answer: F-O-R-E-V-E-R.

I’m sorry. I gave up on my travel blogs a while ago because they were just too much to handle! I was overwhelmed. And even now, we have been so incredibly busy that I have not had time to catch you up on things that have been going on the last 2 weeks either. BUT I feel like re-living my travels at the moment, and I’ve also managed to upload photos at well. So we are ready to rock. I will fill you in on life now, later.

Let’s escape to Greece again shall we? We left off at the island of Santorini. Seems I have left you all shipwrecked there for a couple months. But the Greek ferry is ready to go. Next stop… the Greek island of Ios.

Let me tell you a little about this Greek ferry we took in particular. It was pretty much just a giant chunk of floating metal. We all sit on the deck in plastic seats and this ferry goes about as fast as you can swim. So I read a book. And we chatted with some girls from Vancouver. There was this unique little Catholic-looking shrine-thing right in the middle of the boat too, where you could go and do your ‘Hail Mary’s’ and read scriptures. I’m not 100% sure. But it was interesting. But that was about all the boat had to offer. That, and bathrooms.


We arrived in Ios to be greeted by a very loud, very relaxed and overly honest and crass Brazilian /English man in his mid thirties who runs the place where we were staying. He picked a crew of us up and drove us in a giant van. On the ride there, we chatted with this man to find out, like I mentioned, that he is a Brazilian/English man.  I think he’s confused what he is. Or maybe I am. Either way, he kind of screamed “mid-life-crisis”. The place he runs is called The Far Out Beach Club. Pretty much a young adults party resort over-run by Australians. But because we were traveling in September after the big rush of tourists, we managed to avoid all the hype, and the party scene.

This place was one of our favorites. We could not believe our eyes when we saw that we were staying in an extremely clean room with our own private patio…for an extremely cheap rate. Breakfast included! This place had a couple giant swimming pools, it was right across from a gorgeous beach, complete with its own private restaurants and all. Our days here were definitely spent sun tanning and reading by the swimming pool, eating delicious food, and swimming in the glorious ocean. This was Danny’s favorite island because it was all about r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g.


We took the bus into town for a little bit, one day, only to discover that it really wasn’t all that interesting, and we just wanted to be back at the beach. So we looked at some ships, a man on a donkey, the ocean, and spent too much time at an Internet café looking for a place to stay at our next island. And then went back to the club. Well to the beach actually. Apparently the ladies don’t wear tops there. I find this strange to see a 30-year-old woman playing with her little daughter in the sand with no bathing suit top on. I wanted to go and cover her up. But instead I covered Danny’s eyes by throwing sand in them. Okay, I’m kidding.






At night the Far Out Beach Club would show movies on a big screen kind of near the pool. Everybody would crowd around and eat and watch. It was one of the only things to do at night unless you wanted to go to the bar.

In the morning we would wake up and eat breakfast by the pool, and it was glorious. Although I must say, the breakfasts weren't that impressive. Cereal with warm milk and dry chocolate cake. But it filled our bellies nonetheless. Can't complain when you're in paradise!



Overall this place was a nice treat in our HOT Greek adventure. But we were only there for 2.5 days. We met up with the Vancouver girls again at the ferry and off we went to our next stop...the island of Mykonos.

6 comments:

ruth said...

Hailey,
Whats the name of the place in the pictures? I'm going to Greece this summer and it looks like a nice place to stay...also how cheap was the rate?

Bonnie said...

i was seriously DROOLING as i read this. here's my idea... how 'bout the four of us just take off and go somewhere warm and how 'bout we leave right away!? Ios looks AMAZING! i'm so glad you guys were able to do such an incredible trip.

hope you're having a good weekend! hey, did you end up going to the conference after all? i still feel terrible that it didn't work out for me to come. hope you had an incredible time if you did go! talk to you soon!!

hailey said...

Ruth! You will definitely need to stay at this place. It is the Far Out Beach Club, although the summer rates are way higher than the September rate we got, but maybe you'll catch a deal! But still a great place to stay if you're going to the island of Ios. They have different sleeping options though. They even have these tent/hut type things you can stay in, and then there is the fancier resort sleeping too. Check out their website! www.faroutclub.com

Bonnie I'd like to take you up on your offer and leave tomorrow. You game?!

hailey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
danny said...

nice blog, wife. reading it made me feel just like i was there with you. which i was. fancy that.

Anonymous said...

I love your travel posts. So fun and funny and filled with quirky details about warm milk and stale cake. When Aaron and I are in the NW we are definitely going to need to hang out.

j e r e m i a h 15:16

"As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness because I belong to you. "