Tuesday, January 29, 2008

an introduction, to me...mr. DT.

folks, i'm gonna be honest. i have only posted on this blog what has seemed to be the most appropriate expression of my personality. humor. emotion. eloquence. best summarized in one word: "ROAAAAAARRRRR!"
having previously roared my little taylor heart out, on Saturday, June 30, 2007, today i will begin an intermittent appearance in this blog...finally putting the 'danny' in 'haileyanddanny'.

to begin...
so i just finished my first 4 hour shift at my new job, the urban barn. i survived the day and rewarded myself with a tall americano misto immediately. i deserved it. we all deserve it. anyways, just a few interesting tidbits about my day.

1: i work under a manager, a pretty 20-something girl named "hollis". yes, hollis. last name, "terr". haha. jokes. hollis terr. i know what you're thinking - she should be selling hoodies and tshirts and tank tops, not furniture! in high school i once worked for a guy named abe. i was told to call him "mr. ricombe".
2: apparently boss hollis doesn't like being summoned with "holla hollis!!", nor does she like to be called "boss hollis".
3: i have an assistant manager named "sam", who is also like just pushing 20 and seems really quiet and nice and kind, except for the RAGING dragon/flower/something-i-can't-quite-figure-out tattoo the size of a bowling pin in her back. but she is nice.
4: i also worked with the following: bonnie, liane, leona (props to mrs. sharman), and another girl who i can't remember a name for. it is a female affair. except for this MAN. the rooster has entered the hen house. for the record, nameless girl was literally crying with laughter in the tiny stock room when i went to get my jacket when i finished my shift. she had her cellphone to her ear, but wasn't saying anything. just laughing. lets call her "crazy", until i find out her real name.
5: i get a whopping __% off discount at the store!! can you guess? you'll win a prize!!!
6: it is remarkable to me how much urban barn items polka-dot my house. i didn't realize i'm living so urban and so barn.
7: i am exceptional at the BS of furniture sales. i was told to walk around the store for an hour or so to familiarize myself with the product. in that time i somehow helped three customers - a lady looking for an end table made entirely of mirrors, another lady and her mother looking at couches, and a nice young girl wanting a present for her friend. i am hoping, that on the weekend these ladies come and buy all of their items and i get the commission. and hopefully they bring their friends and family as well. i need all the sales i can get. but seriously, i'm already "helping" customers? i have NO idea what i'm doing.
8: i am now the "light guy". leona has assigned me the task of pointing and positioning the lamps in the store. there are like literally a bazillion lamps in the store. i am excited. i will softly sing worship songs as i do the work, primarily songs with a metaphor of "light". "come light the fire again" "this little light of mine" etc.
9: parking is ridiculous. i put my new tiny toyota to the test ( t t t t t ) in a parallel park that involved me getting out of the car at least 6 times to check for space. but i made it fit. oh yes. anything for free unlimited parking. huzzah.
10: i think i'll like this job. i hope i like it. it will probably take a few weeks...months...to get up to speed. i hope it pays well enough. we'll see!

just thought i'd give ya'll an update of my work. you can pray it continues to go well. thanks!

[oh! and for the record, hailey, my wife, and the other half of 'haileyanddanny' is a drop dead gorgeous bombshell knockout one-of-a-kind woman. she is pretty times a bazillion. just for the record.]


heart.
dt

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

well i'm glad that you got that last bit "on the record." can't disagree with that, I must say. :) haha

so i'm pumped to hear that you got a job and especially at Urban Barn with all the chicks... sounds exciting! i'll definitely pray that it works out cuz i now know how much it SUCKS to not be working :) so thanks for leaving me ALL ALONE in the "Unemployment Club." oh, and its nice to read something from the 'danny' side of 'haileyanddanny'... it made me smile. you're a pretty funny guy.

blessings Danny! hope to see you guys SOON!!

ruth said...

Wow Danny, I'm so glad that you've mixed it up and you posted something, good for you! Good luck with the job!

Anonymous said...

This Danny Taylor is a funny guy. Have him post again. It sounds like the barn is going to be a sweet place to work.

j e r e m i a h 15:16

"As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness because I belong to you. "